Glossy screens look great indoors, but when you take them outside your house, you will be part of a true nightmare. Everybody knows that glossy screens and sunlight don’t mix together, it’s like eating vanilla ice-cream with sausages. But is there a way to avoid screen glare and use your laptop outside your house with no problems? Well, here are 8 pieces of advice for you…
How to reduce screen glare
- Buy a laptop with matte screen from the start. If you know you will need to use it outside your house, go for the matte screen. The colors will be kind of faded compared to those of glossy screens, but you will not suffer because of that damn reflex. You will be able to use your laptop outside as we all know one thing: glossy screens are just useless in those specific situations.
- Try anti-reflective foil. You can buy something like that from Amazon or any computer shop. I don’t guarantee a 100% improvement, but it will make your life bearable. This kind of foil has been used for tablets and the improvement was visible. Anyway, as I said before, don’t expect the problem to be solved 100%. Glossy screens are a synonym for trouble.
- Pedal that brightness to the metal. Turning up to maximum brightness could reduce screen glare but just like the anti-reflexive foil, you shouldn’t expect miracles. Outside your house, glossy screens are the Devil: they never get better. Don’t get your hopes too high if you own a glossy screen laptop and you need to use it in direct sunlight. Glossy screens are used on smartphones, too. I think you can see where I’m going with this.
- Put your laptop into a cardboard box. I saw this trick on YouTube and it looks really silly and stupid, but it freaking works. You will look like a dumbass pushing buttons inside a box, but you will be able to see what you’re doing. In fact, there are a lot of screen hoods for sale on Amazon. They look stupid too, but at least they are not made of cardboard…
- Go for the shade. If you have to work on your laptop outside, the best thing you can do is to go for the shade. Direct sunlight will make your life impossible. Unless you are Bear Grylls traveling through the Sahara Desert, there must be a tree, a wall or something where you can get a nice shade…
- Try sunglasses with polarized lenses. Of course, those could cost you a fortune if you want something called QUALITY, but hey, polarized lenses are able to reduce the glare of everything, right?
- Use a High Contrast Windows theme. This will eliminate white color as much as possible and I think you will be able to use your laptop in direct sunlight. I think Windows has two high contrast themes which replace white with yellow or purple. To change the theme, just hold Win+S buttons and type “Theme” into the search box. There will be a “Change the theme” search result.
- Wear a dark shirt. Wearing black T-shirts will make your life easier when trying to use your laptop outside because black or dark colors can reduce screen glare. Of course, they are not Jesus, so don’t expect miracles. There will be some improvement though.
These are the most important 8 pieces of advice I can give those who need to use their laptops outside the house. Hopefully something will work for you. If you are aware of any tips not mentioned in this article, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.